Chapter 10 Quiz – Texas Government GOVT-2306
|Question 1 (2 points)|
What is the level of popularity of the commissioner system of city government in Texas today?
Question 1 options:
• It is the most popular form of city government in Texas.
• No city in Texas today has a pure commissioner system, but a handful claim a variation of the system.
• While less popular than the mayor-council system, over 100 cities in Texas today use the commissioner style.
• Commissioner systems have never been used in Texas.
• About half the cities in Texas use a pure commissioner form of government.
|No city in Texas today has a pure commissioner system, but a handful claim a variation of the system.|
|Question 2 (2 points)|
A nonschool special district includes everything EXCEPT
Question 2 options:
• Utility districts.
• Economic development corporations.
• School districts.
• Hospital districts.
• Fire prevention districts.
|Question 3 (2 points)|
What is the main difference between a special district and a county?
Question 3 options:
• A special district provides only one specific service within a geographic region.
• A county is formed in terms of population density, while a special district is created geographically.
• Special districts are controlled by incorporated cities, unlike county government.
• Special districts are created by municipalities, while counties are created by the state.
• There are no major differences.
|A special district provides only one specific service within a geographic region.|
|Question 4 (2 points)|
One problem with special districts is that sometimes local government officials work in relative obscurity, avoiding media and public scrutiny.
Question 4 options:
|Question 5 (2 points)|
In large Texas counties, the ________ prepares the county budget.
Question 5 options:
• Tax assessor-collector
|Question 6 (2 points)|
Each county in Texas is required by the state constitution to have approximately the same number of residents.
Question 6 options:
|Question 7 (2 points)|
________ is a unit of local government that performs a single service in a limited geographic area.
Question 7 options:
• A special district
• The county government
• The local government
• A single-member district
• The state government
|A special district|
|Question 8 (2 points)|
All county officials in Texas are appointed by the governor and serve two-year terms.
Question 8 options:
|Question 9 (2 points)|
Which of the following is NOT a function of county government in Texas?
Question 9 options:
• Supervising road and bridge maintenance
• Administering water districts
• Setting a county’s tax rates
• Maintaining the county jail
• County law enforcement
|Administering water districts|
|Question 10 (2 points)|
The strong mayor form of government was created as a response to the 1900 Galveston hurricane disaster.
Question 10 options: