“Inequality For All” By Jacob Kornbluth, Movie Summary

Inequality for All or Who is the Belle of the Ball in the Modern Labor Market

This is a documentary film for those who are interested in the financial situation that has developed in their country and their reasons.

It touches on such a painful and urgent topic as the global difference in income and the absence of a proper level of payment for the middle-class. A huge gap in the level of income between classes separates people not just by class but into groups that neglect each other.

The Basis of the Film

The film “Inequality for All” is based on the lectures of Robert Reich. He read them to his students on the course “Wealth and Poverty”, which was created on the initiative of the lecturer himself that young students could understand what is happening with the economy and why now the country and its people are in exactly this situation.

In the film and, accordingly, at the lectures, three main questions are discussed:

  • What occurs in the distribution of income and wealth?
  • Why is this happening?
  • Is this a problem?

The Way of Robert Reich

Robert today is amid the ten most successful American ministers of the 20th century.

His way of becoming a politician was very unusual and not typical. Since childhood, his peers have belittled him because of his small height – to avoid violence, he began to learn how to negotiate with people. He found two friends who were his support and protect. But during the elections, where the guys participated, they were killed. Then young Robert came to the understanding, that people who were physical protection for him were killed by stronger and very cruel people. From that moment, he decided that he doesn’t want someone to defend him, he wants to protect people himself, and there is no better way to protect than economic support.

To date, Robert Reich is not just a professor of School of Government. He is the author of 12 books. His work “Supercapitalism” and “Works of the Nations” were translated into 22 languages; his speeches can be heard on the radio in the Marketplace broadcast.

The film is partially saturated with humor and jokes of the professor, but it wasn’t possible to avoid the tragedy.

Some Statistics to Consider

With the unfolding of the plot of the film, it becomes clear about the sad state where the people of the United States are located. It’s difficult to imagine, but this is true that 1 percent of the population lives in prosperity. The remaining 99 percent are middle and lower classes. About 400 people own a high level of affluence that equals half the state of the whole country. It will be appropriate to note that the population of the United States in 2013 is approximately 316 million.

If to look closely, we could notice that something strange is on the charts of the economy and production of the country. They both show excellent growth. If we impose on these schedules and a schedule with the hourly rate of the average people, then it appears that since the late 1970s the level of payment has fluctuated at the same level, despite the growth of all indicators for the development of the country’s economy.

The movie does not ignore the situation with the rise in prices for training. In 1960th, education in the country was free; beginning in 1970th it costs $700 per year of the current rate. Despite the fact that wages are at the same level, tuition fees have risen to $15,000 per year for local residents.

Summary

The middle-class is the main breadwinner of the economy because it’s the main consumer of products and services produced in the country. Robert says that the scheme of distribution of benefits should work from the middle to the extreme points and not from the top down point, how it’s arranged today.

It’s always useful to listen to an intelligent person, to improve our horizons. This film is recommended for viewing by everyone not indifferent to the economic situation and to how and at whom the economic market operates in the modern world.